Canada receives more than 350,000 students from foreign jurisdictions each year. Most foreigners must apply for a study permit if they plan to study at a Canadian educational institution. Once issued, a study permit allows a foreigner to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program.
In some cases, you do not need a study permit to attend a school in Canada.
- If the course or program you plan to follow lasts less than 6 months.
- If you are a relative or staff of a foreign representative in Canada.
- If you are a member of a foreign armed force.
To be eligible to study in Canada:
- You must have been accepted by a school, faculty , university or other educational institution in Canada.
- You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
- living expenses for you and your family members who come to Canada with you; Y
- return transportation for you and your family members who come to Canada with you; Y
- You must be a citizen who respects the law without a criminal record and does not pose a security risk to Canada. You may be asked to provide a police certificate.
- You must be in good health and be willing to go through a medical examination, if necessary.
- You must assure an immigration officer that you will leave Canada upon termination of your authorized stay.
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be necessary if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required to enter Canada. Temporary Residency Visa is not required for citizens of countries exempt from a visa .
Work in Canada as a Student
It is possible to work in Canada while you are here as a student, under any of the student work programs of the Department of Citizenship and Immigration (CIC).
A student can work in Canada during the course of their studies under the following categories:
- On campus without a Work Permit ;
- Off campus with a Work Permit ;
- In the Programs of Cooperation and Practices , where the work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.
In addition, the spouses and de facto couples of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the duration of the study permit.
After graduation, a foreign student may apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program. Under this program, work permits can be issued for the duration of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.