How to apply for an Italian student visa

      No Comments on How to apply for an Italian student visa

Visa for non-EU students in Italy

Are you a foreign student and come from a country with a visa requirement?

To come to study in Italy ask for an entry visa from the Italian Embassy or Consulate of your country of residence.
Within 90 days you will have a Visa that will last as long as your course of study, or a year at most.

Here are all the documents you will need to apply for an Italian Student Visa:

  • The completed visa application form: download it from the consulate website
  • The passport, which must be valid for at least 3 months after the required visa expires
  • Booking or airfare
  • A recent photo card
  • The certificate of residence or a facsimile ( Fax / print out )
  • The certificate certifying your enrollment at the Accademia di Italiano ( Italian School ), the payment of the entire fee for the chosen course, the number of hours per month and the start and end dates of the course.
    By law the course must provide 80 hours / month of lessons, that is, the hours of long-term study courses .
  • A document certifying that for the duration of your stay in Italy you will have an accommodation (lease or declaration of hospitality), and the availability of the sum necessary for repatriation. A number of schools will help you find accommodation as a free of charge service.
  • The documentation certifying that you can keep yourself: you must have the availability of an amount not less than 910 euros for each month of stay in Italy.
    You can demonstrate it with currency, bank or insurance sureties, including third parties, credit or prepaid securities, bank statements, credit cards.
  • A document attesting the economic availability necessary for a possible repatriation.
  • International Health Insurance expressly valid in Italy for urgent medical treatment and hospitalization, If you are already insured in your country, you will need to demonstrate the extent of insurance coverage to Italy and the Schengen area states – Otherwise you will need to take out the appropriate insurance in your country of residence or in Italy.

Attention: the visa is a document that allows simple entry into Italy. It can not be renewed or converted into a visa of another type, such as the work visa.

Italian Residency Permit

Have you just arrived in Italy?

The first thing to do after arranging your luggage is to obtain your Italian residence permit: you have 8 working days to request it.

Here’s how you do it:

  • Go to a post office and pick up the kit to apply for your first residence permit.
    The Kit is normally in an envelope with a yellow strip that contains the form to be completed according to the instructions.
    Pay with the postal bill from 107.50 euros and keep the payment receipt aside.
  • Take the Kit to your school, read the forms carefully and if you have any doubt ask the secretary.
    When everything will be clear to you, get comfortable and start to fill out the form and remember to write in block letters with a black pen in the spaces provided.
    The form is written in Italian: if you are in difficulty most schools will fill it out for you. It will be normally be enough for you to show your passport and answer a few simple questions.

When you have finished completing and signing the Form, take it to the post office with:

  • A photocopy of all the pages of your passport + 2 photocopies of the same pages with the stamp of the Italian embassy or consulate of your country of origin and the stamp with the date of arrival in Italy.
  • A € 16 stamp (available in a tobacconist).
  • The original copy of the certificate of registration issued by the Italian Academy (with the stamp of the embassy or consulate).
  • The postal bulletin that is in the envelope and which is used to issue the electronic residence permit (the amount is 30.46 euros: pay it and keep the payment receipt aside).
  • An insurance policy that allows you to take advantage of the National Health Service.

These are the allowed policies:

The private insurance policy of your country of origin, provided that there are no limits on the cost of the duration of an emergency hospitalization.
An insurance policy of Generali Italia spa (Tel. +39063611676).
If you have chosen this policy but have not signed it before coming to Italy, you can apply for it by paying 49 euros (6-month coverage) or 98 euros (12-month coverage) directly in the post office.
Use a 3-section bulletin, registered to this account: Nr. 71270003, Generali Italia spa – Account 20. Bring us the receipt, we will send a copy to the agency and you will receive the paper policy in a few days.
Another type of insurance that covers the same risks, with a declaration by the insurance company that indicates the lack of limits on the duration and costs of an emergency hospitalization in the National Health Service.

  • 4 passport photos to be presented at the first convocation at the police station.

Keep everything under control at the so you will be updated on the status of the procedure and on the date of convocation.

The last useful things: the residence permit for study allows you to do a part time job up to a maximum of 20 hours a week and 1,040 hours a year, and you can also leave Italy for up to 6 months.

While waiting for the appointment at the police station, the receipt of payment of the mail has an official value, but does not allow you to travel freely outside Italy, especially in the Schengen States.
If your residence permit is not ready but you need to return temporarily to your country, take a direct flight or inform yourself about which extra-Schengen countries you can stop at.

You can renew your residence permit for study without returning to your country of origin, provided that your expiring document has been issued for the “study – language course” motivation, and provided that you are enrolled in an annual multi-year course.

The renewal application must be used to follow a course of the same type as that for which you obtained the study visa. So if you have attended a one year Italian course in any school, you can enroll in a course in our Academy and request the extension of the residence permit for another year.

To renew the residence permit for study reasons, you will have to go to the Help Desk in a post office, request a kit for applying for a residence permit, fill it in and return it to the post as you did the first time. This time, however, in addition to MODULE 1 you will have to present:

  • Copy of the certificate of attendance and passing exam related to the course you are about to finish.
  • Copy of the certificate of registration to the new course.
  • Stamp from 16 euros.
  • The photocopy of the residence permit.
  • A statement from your bank or bank statement to show that you can keep yourself throughout your stay in Italy.
  • An insurance policy that allows you to take advantage of the National Health Service (see the same point in the chapter Residence permit for more info).
  • The copy of your tax code (if you have one).
  • 4 photos.

Health insurance and social security number

Health insurance is a fundamental document for your arrival and stay in Italy.

First of all, you will need it to get the Visa, then, when you will be in Italy, you will also need to obtain a residence permit, which will have the same duration of the insurance.

When health insurance expires, you will also need to apply for a new residence permit.
What you can do to obtain your insurance is to contact a private insurance company or register with the National Health Service (SSN).
If you decide to enroll, you will have a referring physician who will be at your disposal at no cost, then, if you ever need it, you can access public health services by paying only the ticket, just like an Italian citizen.
Registration for the SSN lasts one year (from 1 January to 31 December), so you will have to renew it for every year you will stay in Italy.
Using the national health service will cost you € 149.77 per year.

Italian Bank accounts for Students

Do you want to do some shopping, do you have to pay your monthly rent or does your family want to send you money?

The easiest way to do this will be to open a current account.
You can do it at any post office, or by contacting a bank.
The conditions?
At the age of 18, have a valid ID and a tax code.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *